- Job Type:
Long Term Contract
• My client is one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies.
• Looking for a very experienced Highway Engineer with broad ranging experience in highway design to join our Civil Engineering Practice in Chelmsford.
• You will be responsible for designing elements of significant highway infrastructure projects with values of up to £80million, delivering to the highest technical standards and quality targets. You will be a competent designer with proven ability who takes ownership and responsibility for design solutions.
• Our current workload includes significant projects in London and across southern England for strategic highways and local authority clients. You will be responsible to the Project Manager for providing robust technical solutions that meet Client ambitions and exceed their expectations.
• This role will be based in our recently refurbished office in Chelmsford. Chelmsford is in the county of Essex and is one of the newest cities in the UK with substantial investment being made in housing and retail. It is just 30 miles from London with excellent rail and road links to the capital.
• Incorporated or Chartered Engineer (or proven ability to work at the level expected of an experienced Incorporated Engineer)
• BEng or MEng
• Competence and experience in many elements of highway design.
• A thorough understanding of the appropriate elements of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
• Knowledge and understanding of the component parts of a project with a track record of successfully delivering a range of technically robust projects
• Proven ability in practical detailing for elements of highway engineering projects using appropriate standards and engineering judgment
• Experience of preparing detailed Specifications and Contract Documents
• Proven ability to coach and develop less experienced team members
• Excellent standard of written English in the preparation of technical reports and specifications
• A full UK driving licence is an advantage
• Supporting Project Managers in designing schemes for both the public and private sectors
• Overseeing the preparation of scheme drawings, from feasibility to detailed design
• Utilising 3-D design packages in the development of designs, (ideally Civils 3D)
• Preparing works packages - bill of quantities, specifications and construction drawings
• Assigning work and checking/reviewing the work of others
• Preparation and presentation of project reports
• Evaluating engineering problems
• Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets
• Working with other highway engineers, geotechnical engineers, landscape architects and clients as required on technical aspects of projects and co-ordinating as appropriate
• Mentoring and supporting others
• Keeping up-to-date with current methods and design guidelines
• Compliance with Quality, Safety, Environment and managerial procedures.
• Solving engineering problems
• Developing works cost estimates
• Well-developed interpersonal and organisational skills
• Ability to use own initiative with a desire to improve technical capabilities
• Innovative in bringing high quality technical solutions to engineering problems
• Good communicator
• Ability to work under pressure
• A desire to develop and mentor others
At First Recruitment we understand just how important it is to secure the right people. That's why our consultants always take the time to understand requirements in detail and offer sound advice to both clients and candidates.
This is a superb opportunity for a Highway Engineer looking to work for a reputable organisation.