Civil & Structural Engineer
- Job Type:
Civil & Structural Engineer
To undertake specification and design activities associated with the relevant discipline elements of engineering projects, including feasibility studies, project strategies, programming, estimating, front end design, through to detailed design, interfacing with other disciplines, supporting site construction and commissioning activities, ensuring that all project deliverables are delivered in a safe, cost effective timely manner and in compliance with all relevant standards, directives, regulations and quality targets.
• Represent the interests of BIS in all interactions with the client and maintain client relationships
• Make independent decisions on issues, providing expert technical support within and across disciplines, liaising directly with the client where required
• Carry out work on own initiative meeting agreed milestones, costs and quality targets
• Supervise Designers within own discipline, for delivery of detailed work packages
• Act as Project Engineer for smaller/single discipline projects
• Manage suppliers to ensure timely and cost effective delivery of procured equipment
• Ensure Safety, Health and Environmental protection are inherent in engineering design
• Ensure that all safety, design requirements, QA and project management procedures are applied and maintained
• Be responsible for ensuring quality, checking and approval of discipline design deliverables
• Comply with all safety, CDM requirements for design work, include: design reviews, risk assessments, customer instructions, site regulations, HAZOPS, and SSOW
• Comply with Bilfinger company processes, procedures, H&S and Environmental policies
• Carry out design in accordance with approved design guides, procedures, statutory regulations, customer requirements, British/European Standards / Codes of Practice
• Contribute to the production of cost and man-hour estimates
• Contribute to the preparation of project scoping documents
• Prepare specifications and requisitions for equipment
• Manage and report all costs on allocated projects in terms of progress, cost control and variations
• Carry out design, calculation and studies relevant to the engineering discipline
• Carry out site surveys of existing assets, augmenting design to ensure robust fit for purpose engineering solutions
• Support site installation and commissioning activities
• Provide engineering advice to others within the business as required
• All aspects of the design of industrial buildings (in particular steel framed) including foundation selection and design, from concept to construction.
• Produce Civil, Structural and Building Specifications
• Produce detailed calculations together with the use of Staad Pro analysis software
• Knowledge and use of current standards and industry best practices including Eurocodes as applied within the UK
• Knowledge of the requirements of UK Building Regulation’s and their application
• To carry out surveys of existing sites, in particular industrial, with an understanding of the information required to advance office designs.
• Produce estimates for the design and construction of projects.
• 5+ years experience in civil/structural engineering design
• Sound technical knowledge and expertise in all areas of civil/structural engineering
• Experienced in the selection & specification of relevant equipment
• Application of all key relevant British and European standards and regulations
• Experience within process industries
• HND Civil/Structural Engineering (or similar) + 10 years experience and/or Incorporated Engineer (ICE or IStructE) (Minimum)
• Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering (or similar) and/or Chartered Engineer (ICE or IStructE) (Preferred)
At First Recruitment we understand just how important it is to secure the right people. That's why our consultants always take the time to understand requirements in detail and offer sound advice to both clients and candidates.
This is a superb opportunity for anyone looking to work for a reputable organisation.