Quick Job Application
In a rush? Simply drop off your CV by clicking on the button to your right, and we'll get in contact if we have a suitable vacancy.
5 Top Tips For Graduates Looking For A Job
You’ve successfully graduated from University after years of hard work and determination, only to hit a brick wall. What to do next? Where do I start to find a job?
The first thing to do is don’t panic as this happens to most post-grad students. Here are some tips to help land you the perfect job.
- Be ready. First things first, have you got your CV and an outstanding cover letter that is going to stand out from the rest of the applicants at the ready? If not, this should be your first priority. If you’re having difficulty, here are some great tips for writing an impressive CV. Sell yourself like you’ve never done before and make sure to include every working experience you have as this will help you gain credibility. Spend some time on perfecting your CV as this is the only thing a potential employer has to determine whether or not they would like to invite you for an interview. Don’t copy and paste your cover letter. Pick out the parts of your study and any work experience that you feel will benefit your potential new employer and match their job description.
- Don’t stop learning. As a student it’s very easy to move back home, collapse onto your bed with a sigh and begin the often depressing mission to find a job. Now is the time to get proactive. Whilst you apply for jobs, visit your local community, approaching businesses in the area to ask if there are any work experience/internship opportunities available. It may not pay well, if at all, but experience is priceless and will show your future employer that you are keen to learn and grow. Also stay up to date on industry or association news that is relevant to the field you want to enter. Topical information can be useful to talk about in an interview. Staying active, getting yourself out there, you’ll find yourself more optimistic.
- Build your network. LinkedIn is the best place to be for professionals. There are over 500 million users including businesses and organisations and if you have a particular set of companies in mind you would like to work for, connecting with their employees is often a great way to get your foot in the door. Think of your LinkedIn profile as an online summary of your CV. You have the ability to list all of your qualifications, previous work experience and people you have previously dealt with can leave a recommendation to give potential employers and colleagues an insight to how reliable and great you are to work with. Many companies advertise vacancies directly on LinkedIn so keep all your options open.
- Involve family and friends. Where better a place to start your search than with the people who are rooting for you to get a job the most? Ask your mum, dad, auntie, uncle, cousin, partner, friends and your best friends brothers’ friends dad (you get the point). Ask everyone you know if they know of any job vacancies in your forte. You never know who could know someone/something that could lead you to the right person.
- Don’t give up. Finding a job is extremely difficult, and finding one that you actually feel you would excel in makes it even harder. But if there is one thing you take away from reading this article it is to not give up. The key to success is patience and persistence. Use your time effectively and wisely by bettering yourself so that you are ready to take on any challenge.
"Their knowledge of the industry, our organisation and candidates is one of the leaders in the market. They have always been able to supply us with the right calibre of engineering candidate no matter what the discipline or regional location is.
"First Recruitment Group’s service delivery has always been to a high standard and the customer service provided by the team has ensured that First Recruitment Group will remain a preferred supplier of engineering personnel to WorleyParsons on our future engineering projects."
"In my dealings with First I have found them to be responsive, knowledgeable, quality-focused and engaging in their approach. I would have no hesitation in recommending the services of First Recruitment Group to any prospective customers."
Global Engineering Consultancy
"We have a good working relationship with First Recruitment and they always put every effort in to filling our positions whether it's on a permanent or contract basis. First have an honest and open approach to recruitment and their clients which is refreshing. First offer an excellent payroll service which compliments their overall delivery service to MWH Treatment."
“As the biggest services supplier to the nuclear industry our demand for personnel is significant, when I have an urgent requirement I know I can rely on First Recruitment to rise to the challenge.
“As a preferred supplier for temporary labour and a fundamental part of our permanent recruitment process we get the right people at the right time. Whether its highly technical/specialist resources or back office support personnel the approach is to the same high standard.”
Veolia Nuclear Solutions
"It’s great to work with a recruitment agency we trust. The team at First Recruitment Group are friendly and straight talking and they continue to provide an excellent service. We’re proud to still be working with them after 20 years."
Simon Carves Engineering Ltd
"First Recruitment are on the 1st Tier of Sweett Europe’s preferred supplier list. We have found First recruitment to be hugely supportive and value adding partners to Sweett, helping us source a wide range of roles. The consultants at First are hugely knowledgeable and have a real desire to listen to, and understand, our needs. They have shown an unrivalled desire to work on hard to fill roles using innovative methods to ensure they always supply us with CVs.
"I have been hugely impressed by their willingness to support us, even when we have simply been after guidance which would not attract them a fee. I would be more than happy to recommend First Recruitment Group to any prospective organisation, and to discuss in more detail their capabilities."
“We’ve worked with First Recruitment for over 12 years and have built up a great relationship with their team. They’ve helped us in sourcing contractors for our chemical division, maintaining consistently high standards in delivery, and we hope to continue building on this relationship in the future. I have no hesitation in recommending First to others.”
Haden Freeman Limited
"We have used First Recruitment to support the recruitment of several key roles within our business. The quality of the candidates put forward were extremely high which helped enormously in our ability to fill all roles, also the candidates have all been a success since joining our business. They were prompt, knowledgeable and very professional and made the recruitment process for us extremely simple. The service we have received has been first class and I would highly recommend the services of First Recruitment to any Company looking to fill a vacancy."
Meadow Vale Food Group
“I have worked with First Recruitment frequently over the last couple of years. Their ability to understand our business and support me in terms of recruitment has been excellent. Candidates are screened initially to meet our requirements and taken through the process in a professional way. I would have no hesitation in recommending First Recruitment to any employer who needs that little extra support in their recruitment process."
Bokomo Foods (UK) Limited
“I have found First Recruitment to be very efficient and professional in their approach to recruitment. They were able to gain an in depth understanding of the needs of our business and source high quality candidates. I would highly recommend their services to anyone with a recruitment need.”
"First Group are one of the key suppliers to Cobham. The team are quick to respond, friendly and professional, and as such have made a massive difference to the account. The team have supported and filled a variety of roles. Without hestitation I would recommend First."