- Job Type:
12 Month Contract
Our client has a requirement for a Programme Manager, who will be required to work on a 12 month contract basis in Cumbria.
Duties of the job Include
- To support the Head of Programme Delivery in setting up and managing a complex programme of change from programme design and scope definition; establishing the programme infrastructure; overseeing the delivery of the new or enhanced capabilities, the identification and realisation of benefits through to programme review and closure.
- The programme manager also has primary responsibility for defining the requirements for project delivery and establishing the programme governance and management control arrangements. Leads the programme level stakeholder engagements and high interest / high influence communications and is accountable for ensuring the timely and successful delivery of transformational change across the programme.
- Communications & Stakeholder Management – Develop and maintain communications with project managers and other stakeholders, building effective and collaborative relationships. Guidance – May be mentored by a more senior Programme Manager and mentor more junior programme managers Competency Development - completion of the Programme Management Mentor Guide
- Resource Management – Identify resources to ensure required capacity and capability for successful programme delivery. Undertakes planning, scheduling and estimating.
- Risks & Issues – Manage risks and issues, including those that are strategic and politically sensitive, ensuring regular reporting and escalation as appropriate.
- Benefits realisation – Work with project leads and Benefits Manager to identify, track and deliver benefits set out in business case.
- Programme Performance & Controls – Plan and design the programme and proactively monitor and report on its overall progress through the governance framework.
- Assurance – participating and leading programme assurance reviews (PAR’s)
- Leadership vision & objectives – Deliver stated objectives. Support the programme to deliver the business case benefits and outcomes.
- Dependency Management – Map programme dependencies and identify owners, build dependency management into the programme’s governance cycle.
- Support learning from experience (LFE) through attendance at CPD events or leading community/CPD events
Knowledge & Experience
- Setting up and managing the programme throughout its life cycle stages.
- Leading the programme design and definition; the development of the programme vision and blueprint; the tranche plan; the articulation of benefits (ensuring strategic alignment); the initiation of studies; the packaging of tranche plan; the articulation of benefits (ensuring strategic alignment); the initiation of studies; the packaging of work and articulation of the requirements for project delivery and the setting up and oversight of the programme office.
- Developing and maintaining a robust programme governance framework, ensuring each meeting has clear terms of reference with clear authority limits and everyone operating within governance understands their roles and responsibilities and decision making authorities.
- Establishing the programme board and attending as a quorate member. Chairing or attending other key programme governance meetings as required. Monitoring the effectiveness of the programme governance arrangements to ensure they continue to operate cohesively in line with the agree terms of reference, taking action to address gaps as required.
- Writing and undertaking reviews of the Programme Business Case, gaining stakeholder support and presenting the business case to the Investment Review Committee for sanction approval.
- Defining the requirements for Project delivery including the projects boundaries, strategic tolerances and authority limits to which the project can operate and make decisions. Owns and approves the Project Functional Specification.
- Working collaboratively with the programme office and project controls to define and develop the programme baseline scope, schedule and cost data and to establish the management control arrangements to monitor, control and report against the baseline, ensuring all work undertaken is authorized.
- Leading the identification, management and reporting of programme benefits, working collaboratively with key stakeholders including the Head of Strategy and the Business Change Manager to develop benefits maps, benefits profiles, benefits measures, benefits management plans and benefits realization plans to track and report benefits realisation.
- Leading the analysis of stakeholder interests and influences on the programme. Developing and maintaining the programme stakeholder engagement strategy and communications plan and routinely liaising with stakeholders routinely to gain and maintain commitment, buy in and support for the programme throughout its life cycle.
- Working with the Risk Manager to identify, capture and analyse programme risks, opportunities and issues, ensuring all risks are mitigated and actions are tracked; risk escalation routes are defined and established; opportunities are fully exploited, and all issues are escalated to enable early intervention to prevent them becoming a risk to programme delivery.
- Working collaboratively with the Resource Manager to establish the resource strategy and resource demand plan (people and non-people) for the programme and ensuring the programme remains aligned within approved staffing levels throughout its lifecycle.
- Working collaboratively with the Portfolio Manager and respond positively to any requests for information on programme performance and any decisions taken by the portfolio to re-prioritise or re-allocate finite resources (cost / people / non-people).
- Leading the identification and management of internal and external programme dependencies, ensuring those on the critical path are carefully managed and tracked throughout the programme life cycle to prevent programme delays.
- Initiating and overseeing the development of programme studies to address capability gaps and shortfalls and the related governance review and decision making that will confirm whether a new project should be initiated.
- Develops and presents proposals to the programme board and leads the implementation of any changes agreed.
- Demonstrative experience of leading, managing and developing a team in a project or programme environment particularly working within the context of nuclear project and programme delivery.
- Proven leadership within a highly complex Programme Environment / Change environment.
- Experience of undertaking strategic negotiations with stakeholders and major supplier experience and understanding of all of the concepts within assigned specialism of programme / project management, with significant experience in delivering mid-complex programmes or complex projects.
- An understanding and experience of the MSP principles, Risk Management, Business Case development, Resource Management, Benefits management, setting Programme Requirements & subsequent development of Project Functional Specifications and management of complex Programmes / Projects.
- A track record of managing multiple stakeholders, including senior management and external stakeholders.
- Experience in leading a medium sized team undertaking a variety of activities.
- Experience of leading people and leading in a matrix environment using influencing skills to ensure that multidisciplinary functions support delivery of change.
- Extensive experience in transformation and change management.
- Proven track record in successful delivery of high-complex, multi-disciplined programmes or projects.
- Proven experience in participating in assurance activities (SPER/PAR/ Studies Assurance).
- Proven ability to hold teams to account for delivery of scope.
- Experience in managing stakeholders a local and national level.
- University degree or equivalent externally recognised professional qualification.
- Qualified to MSP Foundation.
- Setting up and managing the programme throughout its life cycle stages.
- Development of tranche plans and prioritisation of scope.
- Experience in production of Programme and Project Business Cases.
- Ability to establish studies that answer broader business decisions and to initiate projects.
BPSS Security Clearance will be required.
At First Recruitment Group we understand just how important it is to secure the right people. That is why our Recruitment Consultants always take the time to understand requirements in detail and offer sound advice to both clients and candidates.
We actively recruit at all levels and this is a superb opportunity for Programme Manager’s looking for new employment.