Principal Mechanical Engineer
- Job Type:
- £55k - 65k per year
- Prin Mech Engineer
As part of the Manchester team, you will be responsible for the successful mechanical engineering delivery on all projects and assignments in terms of quality, safety, time and cost.
In addition to the technical delivery, you will provide support to the Head of Department in terms of providing technical guidance to Engineers and Designers within the team.
- Ensure overall mechanical engineering and design objectives are achieved, i.e. safety, cost and time outcomes vs. technically sound solutions, risk minimisation and quality.
- Continuous review and improvement of mechanical engineering processes and project deliverables.
- Development and issue of design specifications and data sheets.
- Conduct Technical Bid Analysis from tender returns and technical documentation.
- Development and issue of construction scope of work packages (installation, destruct, tie-in, insulation, etc.)
- Provide discipline input into Basis of Design (BoD) reports
- Liaison with clients, vendors, subcontractors and external consultants.
- Support Factory / Site Acceptance Testing (FAT/SAT) and commissioning activities.
- Where dictated by business need, assume overall responsibility for mechanical deliverables and oversee 3D design scope of projects.
- Ensure overall compliance with and continuous improvement of IMS/Project Procedures and Engineering Standards.
- Project Risk Assessments (identification, reduction, mitigation and control).
- Use of documentation templates and development of new templates where required.
- Ensure conformance to current legislation, standards and best practices.
- Estimating of hours and work scoping for input into proposals.
- Review of documentation for technical acceptability.
- Ensure via regular reviews that the mechanical engineering inputs are progressing in accordance with the project plan; early notification of items slipping or issues causing delay
- Ensure via regular reviews that the client is up to date with the progress of the project.
- Regular discussion with vendors during tendering process and post order placement to ensure technical acceptability and delivery in accordance with schedule.
- Ensure scope creep of projects identified via the use of Design Change Notes and Variation Orders and early warnings given to the client. Provide discipline input into change notes.
- Ensure all projects managed to time utilising the appropriate tools and early warning of adverse trends given to the client.
- Ensure all aspects of health and safety met in projects, through CDM and H&S reviews.
- Hold a Bachelor Degree in related subject (e.g. mechanical engineering although a HNC or HND with appropriate level of experience will be considered.)
- Preferably a Chartered Engineer with IMechE, or working towards.
- Proven level of experience in mechanical engineering and design projects.
- deally have direct project and sector exposure across operational core sectors; Advanced Manufacturing & Technology, Chemical, Petrochemical)
- Proficient at interpreting and supporting generation of P&IDs, CAD models and plant layouts.
- Display a professional approach and demeanour towards tasks and others.
- A strong ethical approach to safety, quality, environmental protection and business.
- Demonstrable ability to communicate effectively with clients and peers at all levels.
- Flexibility to travel as and when required to meet demands of clients and their projects.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible and to be able to multi-task and prioritise when necessary.
- Display a positive outlook and approachable manner.
- Must be well motivated, able to work as part of a team or in independently when required.