Senior Civil Engineer
- Job Type:
- Market related
Senior Civil Engineer
We are recruiting on behalf for a recently-Chartered Civil Engineer to join our Client as part of their Water Services team. The team consults, delivers and manages Critical Human Infrastructure projects in the Water and Flood Risk Management sector. The candidate for this role should have an aspiration to follow a technical career and have experience in the appraisal and design of civil infrastructure schemes. Operating as a civil engineering lead in a base office or Client co-located environment. The primary purpose of the role is to undertake and co-ordinate civil design within a multi-disciplinary engineering team ensuring consistent quality and timeliness of output.
You will work closely with clients, junior team members and other specialist teams throughout the business to deliver the projects.
The role is suitable for a recently-Chartered Civil Engineer (preferably through the ICE, though CIWEM would be considered) who is looking for a fresh challenge following their recent qualification. You should possess and be able to demonstrate the following qualifications, skills and knowledge:
- Coordination of civil design outputs with other technical disciplines.
- Delivery of the civil design stage outputs of each project within the agreed timescale and budget.
- Organisation of the civil design work required and assisting with documenting in the Design Management Plan.
- Ensuring that an adequate Technical, Safety and Environmental input is considered in the civil design for each project.
- Production of civil design documents which are cost effective, meet the requirements of the specification and which can be constructed safely and effectively. Ensuring that company/Client civil standard designs and design practices are utilised wherever possible.
- Agreement of the civil design cost budget and monitoring performance against the budget.
- Reporting civil design changes to the Lead Engineer in order that they can be captured within change control mechanisms.
- Raising and assisting in resolving technical queries.
- Establishing working relationships with Client and staff and supply chain representatives to promote buildability and supply chain efficiency in design outputs.
- Maintaining a positive and solution-oriented approach to work, providing open and honest feedback.
- Being aware of the need to satisfy customer requirements with the aim of enhancing the customers’ perception and satisfaction.
- Taking all reasonable steps to ensure appropriate confidentiality.
- Contributing to ensuring a safe working environment for all staff.
Academic & professional qualifications:
Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent qualification.
Chartered with ICE or related institute/institution.
Background & experience:
A record of working in the water industry on water or wastewater projects. Ideally experience of undertaking feasibility, outline and detailed design and having supervised more junior civil engineers in these areas.
A good knowledge of water/wastewater treatment and the processes for working up design proposals for acceptance by clients.
Good appreciation/understanding of requirements of other disciplines.
Proven experience of producing accurate technical outputs, on time, to budget and to the appropriate quality.
Understanding of Client needs and being aware of the need to satisfy customer requirements with the aim of enhancing the customers’ perception and satisfaction.
Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
Ability to work under time pressure and balance multiple priorities
Proactive and methodical approach to problem solving as part of a team with a desire to find a solution.
Delivery driven with the ability to work to targets and deliver to time, cost and quality objectives