Client guidance on IR35 off-payroll reform in the private sector
The UK government has published draft legislation on IR35 private sector reforms, due for implementation in April 2020.
Government disregards public consultation
Challenges and solutions for highly-skilled workforces
Who will be affected by IR35 in the private sector?
Potential effects on UK Oil & Gas workforce
Lessons learned and pitfalls to avoid from the public sector
Only 47% of private sector businesses are prepared
Preparing your business for IR35
- Appoint a team: Ensure you have a group of key people to can help find out key information, make decisions and implement a plan. Build in a communication plan to keep key stakeholders in the loop.
- Review your supply chain: Who will conduct the review, how will you assess IR35 status, how many contractors work for you directly, how will you ensure “reasonable care”. Assess the impact on your business.
- Educate your business: At First Recruitment Group we have been working closely with APSCo, attending numerous discussions and forums to understand the legal complexities, helping to produce IR35 guidance for our clients. You must not only educate your management team, but HR and Line Managers too. Keep the conversation open and honest.
- Fully detail and understand your contracting workforce: This can be easier said than done when working on large scales across multiple locations and projects. Technology could be required or a team that is dedicated to assessing and documenting this information, which could push your budgets higher.
However, there is another way; we have produced detailed guidance on how to scope our client’s contractor workforces, ensuring that each is tested in line with HRMC legislation. This minimises the need for extra in-house resources by working in collaboration with our team.
- Expect an increase in your 2020 workforce budget: Once you understand the scale of your off-payroll workforce, and how many will fall within scope of IR35, you can start to work this into your future workforce budgets. It’s estimated that about a third of the contracting workforce will fall within scope of IR35, with the proper assessment, but each business will differ depending on the type of contractors they require.
Would you like our detailed client guidance document?
“We have required a number of Quality Assurance/Quality Control candidates within the Nuclear Industry. Since early 2016 First Recruitment Group have provided a number of QA/QC professionals in locations across the UK.
“We have been very pleased with both the quality of supply and the customer service demonstrated and will continue to use their professional services in the future.”
“I have worked with First Recruitment Group as my partner of choice across a number of large and challenging Oil & Gas projects internationally over recent years.
“First are a high performing business who are built on credibility, honesty, expertise.
“As we push the frontiers of projects and move in to more and more challenging and locations, First will continue to be my partner of choice to help us deliver our projects with confidence.”
"I have had the pleasure of working with First Recruitment Group over recent years and we have formed a great working relationship. Their understanding of our exacting requirements is outstanding.
"The First team are highly experienced and knowledgeable across the recruitment spectrum and operate in the manner you would expect of a professional outfit of their stature. Their attention to detail and approach is faultless and their commitment and drive has helped our business with unique, complex and difficult recruitment requirements.
"Sarah, our Account Manager, is an incisive thinker as well as hardworking, diligent and reliable and has an extremely helpful and flexible approach to her work. This reflects in her team and with their ability to communicate at all levels in an honest and trusted consultative manner and gives us great faith in their ability to identify candidates who can help us to drive forward and achieve our business goals.
"I have no hesitation in recommending First as a recruitment partner and feel they would be worthy of selection for any engineering or manufacturing business looking for an intelligent and innovative solution."
“There is nothing negative about the service that we’ve received from First. Without fail they have produced positive feedback. The fact that they have placed a diverse range of skills from PA's to Engineers, just goes to show that they have the core skills, intelligence, and initiative that make them great recruiters, and preferred partners.”
"It’s great to work with a recruitment agency we trust. The team at First Recruitment Group are friendly and straight talking and they continue to provide an excellent service. We’re proud to still be working with them after 20 years."
Simon Carves Engineering Ltd