Risk/MI Data Engineer
- Oil & Gas
- Job Type:
Position: Risk/MI Data Engineer
Our client has a requirement for a Risk/MI Data Engineer whom is interested in data and data solutions but also has the energy and interest to make a difference.
Our client is primarily focuses on energy trading (oil and gas) and supports business users across a number of offices globally. The team covers activities across the IT lifecycle including architecture; project management; business analysis; software design, development and support; infrastructure design; and vendor management.
- Design and development of data-centric applications related to Risk, Compliance, Finance and Operations domains.
- Analysis of key user needs and their translation to enterprise-class designs and software.
- Liaise with project teams, line manager and development leads to ensure accurate delivery.
- Design and develop applications using agreed coding standards and quality targets.
- Participate in code reviews and unit testing.
- Contribute to the design, development and implementation of software development best practices within IT.
- Support and mentor other developers in all areas of the development lifecycle.
- Provide regular status updates, reflecting progress against the development schedule.
Key Competencies & Skills:
- A business-oriented, data-centric individual, with the ability to build credibility with the business and to have the communications skills which allow complex business requirements to be analysed, challenged where appropriate and then distilled into executable IT designs.
- Experienced developer working as part of a scrum team to deliver robust enterprise-wide solutions utilising industry standard practices and technologies to deliver full stack solutions with initial focus on Trade Pricing models.
- Track record of data analysis, design and delivery, preferably in a physical commodity trading environment.
- Strong interest in Data and Data Science generally.
- Excellent SQL knowledge with understanding of both the relational and dimensional models.
- Good knowledge of Business Intelligence tools, especially SAP Business Objects and MS Power BI.
- Ability to work closely and independently with end users.
- Expertise in all areas of the development life cycle to include:
- Functional requirements and system design specifications.
- Test case preparation and execution.
- Understanding of the setup of development environments to include source code and version control.
- Understanding of Software build procedures.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Educated to Degree-level (or equivalent), as a minimum requirement.
- Minimum of three years’ experience with SQL Development, preferably Sybase iQ.
- Two years’ experience in using BI tools, preferably SAP Business Objects and/or MS Power BI.
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to develop innovative solutions to technical problems.
- Extensive experience of designing and developing applications individually or as part of a team.
- An understanding of the fundamentals of Trade Pricing and PnL calculations would be advantageous.
- Ability to coach and mentor peers within the scrum team.
- Experience of working in a commodity or financial trading environment is desirable.
- Preferably will have had exposure to an agile development environment - ideally SCRUM.
At First Recruitment Group we understand just how important it is to secure the right people. That is why our Recruitment Consultants always take the time to understand requirements in detail and offer sound advice to both clients and candidates.
We actively recruit at all levels and this is a superb opportunity for Risk/MI Data Engineer’s looking for new employment.