Structural Engineer Inspector
- Aerospace & Defence
- Job Type:
- Market Rate
Structural Engineer Inspector
Must be physically fit as will be required to climb 30m masts as a minimum.
Will be subject to a working at heights examination.
General Description of Job:
The role will require a coordinated inspection programme for all Customers structures in the UK and overseas. You will carry out all Structural Inspections to identify corrosion, defects or improvements as applicable and provide certification the structures are safe and structurally sound.
The Customer portfolio has a range of Structures that includes guide masts, lattice towers starting at 18m and numerous SATCOM antennas up to 30m in diameter.
You will be required to produce detailed reports for the customer that demonstrates a robust inspection regime highlighting areas for remedial action. These reports will be used to create the work schedule for the Corrosion Control team to demonstrate assets are not degrading and to provide a solution for assets where remedial action is required.
Working with staff at all locations you will provide hands-on support, as well as leadership both technical and managerial to a multi-disciplined team in order to deliver all preventative and corrective maintenance activities across the range of services as well as specialist support in your areas of expertise.
As a Structural Engineer, you will be responsible for:
• The delivery of a structural inspection regime for all assets within the Customer enterprise both in the UK and overseas
• Liaise with Site managers to ensure appropriate access and downtime of assets is in place prior to commencing inspections
• Examine structures and advise how to improve their structural integrity, such as recommending removal or repair of defective parts or rebuilding the entire structure
• Examine structures and direct which components need remedial action to address corrosion
• Produce detailed reports for all assets in a timely manner
• Selecting appropriate construction materials for any modifications, alterations
• Monitor and inspect all work undertaken by employees and contractors to ensure structural soundness
• Working with others to identify and develop new technical methodologies
• A detailed understanding and compliance with relevant codes of conduct and standards
• To contribute to the recruitment, induction and development of team members, including the maintenance of their mandatory health, safety and security training
• Use computer aided design technology for simulation and design purposes
• Determines and specifies quality and safety standards to ensure equipment operation and maintenance comply with design specifications
• Travel to other company sites will be necessary
• Self-motivated, positive, enthusiastic, reliable, consistent and mature approach to work – appropriate to delivering growth in the face of challenging market conditions
• Provide technical leadership with an ability to lead small teams, provide line management capability, and an interest in developing junior staff
• Analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills
• Ability to cope rapidly with challenging problems
• Willingness to engage with and build relationships; anticipate, interpret and deliver client requirements, thereby winning work from new and existing clients
• Ability and enthusiasm to work with other teams to develop cross-discipline capabilities
• Act in a professional and courteous manner at all times
• Make yourself available to support any out of hour’s requirement when requested from the customer
• Ensure appropriate communication is maintained with all stakeholders to create and maintain strong, lasting relationships with customers, suppliers, Service sponsors and Company stakeholders
• To enhance the client’s reputation with the Customer by ensuring all assigned tasks are delivered in a professional manner that meet or exceed the Customer’s expectations
• To comply with the Data Protection Act (DPA) to provide the appropriate level of control of all personally identifiable information to which you and your team have access as part of their role
• Undertake any duties over and above those listed, within reason, as directed by the Operations Manager
Technical Experience and Qualifications
• Must possess, or be able to obtain and retain DV clearance.
• Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
• Appropriate experience as a Structural Engineer Inspector
• Professionally registered with the Institute of Structural Engineers.
• Excellent communication and report writing skills including the delivery of technical presentations to external clients.
• Working at height (WaH)