Nuclear Safety Principal Engineer
- Aerospace & Defence
- Job Type:
Nuclear Safety Principal Engineer
• Following our recent major wins across the Nuclear New Build Market, SNC-Lavalin are now poised play a key role in the development of the design of the next generation of Nuclear Power Stations. We are therefore seeking individuals to join us in delivering key facilities, systems and components across the full spectrum of the power station.
• As part of our Nuclear New Build business, our team specialises in taking on the most challenging engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical leadership to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear sector, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenge of new nuclear build.
The role will entail providing safety case advice during the design of nuclear facilities and for the production of all nuclear safety documentation as part of the Site Licence Conditions. Typical documents you should have considerable experience in authoring and will be expected to produce include the following:
• Hazard/fault identification studies e.g. HAZOP, FMEA, etc;
• Qualitative and Quantitative Hazard Assessments;
• Radiological Hazard Assessments;
• Probabilistic Safety Assessments;
• Safety Case preparation (e.g. EC, PMP, PSR, PCSR, LSS etc);
• Support to Engineering Substantiation studies;
• Safety management studies.
• Nuclear technology technical reports.
• EC production (Cat 1 and Cat 2)
• Fault studies
• PWR and BWR Station procedures and manuals.
• Design Authority technical reports
Other key aspects of the role will include:
• Mentoring others in a technical capacity, assisting in the production of bids and proposals, and implementing and contributing to safety initiatives. You will also liaise with operators, designers and clients, building a strong relationship with them.
• You will enjoy approaching things in different ways to find the best possible fit – you like making improvements and consider different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
• You don’t just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy watching people develop and grow in the team. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to ‘get it’, and then watch them go on and achieve more.
• Building and developing relationships is a key part of this role. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether that’s delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
In addition to having excellent communication, presentation and problem solving skills you will also be able to demonstrate the following:
• Honours Degree (or equivalent) in mechanical engineering or closely related discipline (2:1 minimum).
• Chartered Engineer.
• Technical practitioner able to demonstrate good engineering judgement and with extensive experience in using fundamental engineering skills.
• Proven record of delivering technically challenging projects.
• Strong background in safety case production and hazard analysis
• •Able to produce and review/correct high quality technical reports.
• Motivated and driven to meet delivery/cost targets without compromising quality.
• Awareness of their own technical limitations, and using the help and support of others to deliver.
• Sound commercial acumen.
• The ability to speak French, Japanese or Chinese would be an added bonus.
At First Recruitment we understand just how important it is to secure the right people. That's why our consultants always take the time to understand requirements in detail and offer sound advice to both clients and candidates.
This is a superb opportunity for anyone looking to work for a reputable organisation.